Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Wednesday, August 11th

Today we visited the Dachau Concentration Camp. It was a very quiet, solemn day...and never really recovered...which is okay, sometimes you need to just contemplate history.

As I walked the grounds, I imagined the people who stood here before me and felt wave after wave of nausea come over me. I sometimes wish I could distance myself...not get so emotionally invested...but that's me...for better and worse.

There isn't much that I can say that hasn't already been said by someone much more eloquent than me, so I'll leave you with some photos and the good, the bad, and the ugly of the day:

The good - being with my husband and son to share something so emotional; knowing that God used the horror of the Holocaust to bring about the formation of Israel; reading stories of people who risked their lives to save others.

The bad - realizing that millions of human beings turned a blind eye to what was going on right under their noses.

The ugly - the atrocities committed against the Jewish people and many others in the name of racial purity.

I do wonder...which is the greater evil...committing those horrific acts or doing nothing about it????

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

5 comments:

  1. Amazing that you are able to experience this with Mike and Matt... I have really enjoyed "traveling" with you !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy, I hope you don't mind me following your blog. I hope your having a wonderful time, it looks like you all are. Your pictures are beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your adventure. Have a fun, safe and blessed time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who is obsessed with all things WWII, I can only imagine what you felt/saw/experienced. You are right - a trip through Europe IS a trip through history. And what a horrendous chapter this particular place holds in the timeline of things. Thank you for so beautifully articulating this day for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went here too. I'm a visual learner so really helped me understand what I had read about but couldn't really grasp until coming here (And watching the film they show of things taking place where you just walked by...amazing to try and comprehend) It was hard to see but was glad we went. Made going on to Munich right afterwards difficult too. Part of the journey though. Cindy M.

    ReplyDelete