Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Rainy Day in Berlin Tried to Get us Down

Saturday, August 14th

Ich liebe Berlin! I didnt expect to, but I fell in love with Berlin!

Now, why didn't I think I'd love Berlin? One, it's a large, modern city. Two, it doesn't have ancient sites that make up for it being a large, modern city. And three, it doesn't have any of that German charm found in smaller towns.

Why did I fall in love with Berlin? Because I felt like we were 'part' of Berlin...if you know what I mean. Here's how:
  • We stayed in an apartment in East Berlin. It was simple and clean...it could have been in an Ikea ad! The apartment was in a quiet, yuppie-like area, but right next to an underground station and only two stops from Alexanderplatz (with lots of shopping and eating options) and also had connections to the rest of the city.
  • It was raining...I know that usually spells doom for the day...but we embraced it. I felt like a local, walking with my umbrella...I'm such a dork!
  • We did a hop-on/hop-off bus tour. Now, that sounds very touristy, I know...but I had never done one and it was a great way to see the city in the rain. We sat right next to the guide and she was very personable, answering questions and helping me with pronounciation. We went around one full route and then started hopping off to do things. We went to the Reichstag building (not inside...line too long), Brandenburg Gate, and, of course, KaDeWe...the largest department store on the Continent...where I bought lots of candy to share with my Wednesday night pre-k class. Hi Jeremiah...hope to see you soon!
  • We returned to Alexanderplatz for dinner. They had all sorts of booths set up...it was a festival type atmosphere. We grabbed a picnic table and some brats (bratwurst on a roll) and enjoyed the people watching. There were about four bachelorette parties and one bachelor party that walked through. The brides-to-be each wore a strange wedding gown with hearts all over them and they were asking strangers to pay to do something (maybe like a scavenger hunt). Everyone was eager to be a part and eager to part with money for the future bride. The groom-to-be had no shirt on and was covered with suckers...you know, lollipops. People had to pay to take one off...it was hilarious. There was music playing and I was surprised to hear a new version of 'Take Me Home, Country Roads' that got everyone singing...even me and Mike. It was a great evening...after our brats, we had crepes...mine had Nutella and banana in it....mmmm, it was the best!
Another reason I love Berlin is because it so clean and green. There are so many parks and I never saw trash anywhere.

Finally, Berliners LOVE their dogs! They take their dogs everywhere! On the bus, tram, subway...in restaurants...everywhere! I want to live somewhere like that!
Oh da yugoo!

3 comments:

  1. I love Berlin...and I've never even been there. Bring me home some candy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog makes me want to go back to Berlin. Did you get to Checkpoint Charlie? We arrived by train in the evening, our taxi driver we had to take us to our hotel told us he was going to take us a tour of Berlin, it was fantastic. When we go to Brandenburg Gate he got out and stopped the traffic so I could get out in the middle of the road to take a picture. Looking forward to the next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! I have enjoyed reading your blog everyday!! Jeremiah got a cute little grin on his face when I showed him you said hi. :)

    ReplyDelete