Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Final Countdown

Tuesday, August 24th

Today was the first day I really knew I was ready to go home...good thing, too, cuz it's our last full day in Europe. I miss my girls, my dogs, and my bed...oh yeah, and Del Taco.

I think our trip was the perfect length, we all just wish we had more time in Spain and an extra day in London. But Spain has definitely left us wanting more and we have already been talking about a few weeks in Spain, tentatively scheduled for 2012.
The Alhambra

Matt loved Spain before he ever set foot on its soil. He has embraced his Spanish heritage along with Spain's futbol (soccer) team. Maybe we have relatives in Sevilla, when we checked into our hotel, they told us that a famous judge with our last name lived there. He plans to live in Spain one day...not sure how I'd like that, but I'm very open to him spending a year of college out here. Mike works with a couple guys whose sons are attending college in Granada, so we'll start looking into it.

We had planned to go to the beach today, but four hours on a bus followed by five hours on a train returning to Madrid didn't sit well, so we just spent the day in Granada. We shopped til we dropped in the Moroccan feeling marketplace. We took another minibus ride, this time to the area of Sacromonte, where the Roma (Gypsy) community resides. They actually have homes and businesses in caves in the side of the mountain. We tried to take pics from the bus without falling over, so they aren't the greatest. Finally, we had lunch at the Turkish restaurant again while playing Phase 10 until we had to leave for the train station.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. A five hour train ride, a taxi to the hotel near the airport...oh, and leg cramps keeping me up until about 3 am. Oh well, tomorrow night I get to have leg cramps in my own bed.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you had a wonderful trip. I'm going to miss reading your blog everyday. Hope you had safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed following your trip. It was a joy to read such positivity, even in the face of the trials of such an adventure. I've been waiting to see one last blog entry with a reflection. I'm hoping that you are able to do one before too much "real life" sets in! :)

    ReplyDelete