Wednesday, August 11, 2010

International Incident

Tuesday, August 10th

Today was a travel day, which shouldn't be too exciting, except that I unwittingly became involved in an international incident...it wasn't pretty.

I'm really gonna miss this view
from our balcony!
Breakfast Room
To start the day, we had a wonderful breakfast at the Hotel Bavaria with a gorgeous view. I never used to make a big deal of 'views', but they have really impacted this trip in a very positive way.

After breakfast, we returned to our room to pack and I posted my blog for the previous day. We checked out and left our bags at reception while we went to Lake Konigsee, a gorgeous Alpine lake.

Lake Konigsee
I was surprised at how touristy Lake Konigsee was. All the pictures I had seen were of this peaceful, pristine lake...getting off the bus to rows of shops (it had a flea market atmosphere) was completely unexpected. I'm not complaining, it just wasn't what I had thought it would be. We took pictures, ate lunch, shopped a little, and giggled at a man wearing speedos.

Then it was time to catch our train to Munich...I was tired, so I sat in a set of four empty seats facing each other and tried to take a little nap...my body was stretched over two seats and my feet were on one of the empty seats directly across from me. I began to doze when a German woman dressed in all white plopped down loudly in the empty seat next to my feet. I immediately pulled my feet down and she said something in German while pointing to the empty seat. I assumed she was telling me I didn't have to move because every German I had met thus far had been so kind and accommodating. I said, 'It's okay...no problem.' She then yelled, 'It's obviously okay for you, not me!' I was stunned for a moment, not really understanding what had just happened. I decided to just sit in my space, so I adjusted my things and crossed my legs. As I did, one of my sandals touched the empty seat. She yelled again, 'Don't touch my white!' I replied that I hadn't...at this point people were looking at us. Mike got up and asked what was wrong...did I want to switch seats. I shrugged, but decided to stay. Long story short (I know...too late), she continued to talk about me in German to anyone who would listen. The Austrian gentleman Mike had befriended (he's been making lots of friends) actually got into an argument with her. So, because of me, Austria and Germany are now at war.

After all was said and done, I did cry a little about it. I am pretty sensitive and hate the thought that I had made her angry because my feet were on the seat (that's what I assume was the problem). The Austrian guy said that it is acceptable to put your feet up on a seat as long as you take your shoes off...well my sandals were on, so I have become the ugly American that Europeans hate.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Cindy....we can't take you anywhere! Thanks for posting...I was a little sad when I woke up this morning, and your adventures were not waiting for me.
    Have a good day! And keep your sandaled feet OFF the seats! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy

    All over Europe you'll see that shoes on seats in trains are unwelcome. In the UK people will take their shoes off or put a newspaper on the seat first. In fact, in the UK, it is actually illegal to put shoes on seats. Why? Where have the soles of shoes been before they go where people sit?

    Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon your blog and am enjoying your trip vicariously!

    My teenaged daughter and I were on a train in Europe this summer and the conductor chastised her for having her "trainers" on the seat. I immediately knew he meant her sneakers, but she was confused (half asleep) and then mortified. I think she shed a few tears, too.

    So sorry it happened to you -- our experiences not knowing the customs or language have made me vow to be more tolerant of tourists in our home town from now on. Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You started a war. That's my sister!

    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesson learned =), Cindy M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today, I took my shoes off, but put socks on...I don't know what's been on those seats!

    Trisha, I agree with you about making sure I treat visitors to our country the way I would want to be treated...a little kindness goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so loving your blog!!!! It was referred to me by a long time friend. My husband and I are also traveling and keeping a blog, only we are in our RV exploring the Northwest this summer. It just so happens that our RV is called "Serendipity"!!! We have learned that "going with the flow" is the way that works and have found that the "mishaps" make the best memories anyway!!!! Thanks for sharing your adventures!! You really capture the essence of being there. Hope the rest of your trip is wonderful!! Safe travels. God Bless, Norma C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love following you three around!!! Even when the story line gets a little sad, like your encounter with the "hospitable" German woman. The pictures are gorgeous... Thanks so much for letting us "tag along!!!" XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I love having all of you with me!

    Norma, please share your blog address. We just bought an RV and plan to have many adventures in it.

    ReplyDelete