Monday, August 23, 2010

Lettin' it all Hang Out

Sunday, August 22nd

Our trip is quickly coming to an end and we all miss home, but are still enjoying our travels. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been all sunshine and roses (definitely not sunshine). We've had our annoyances with each other, but what do expect after being together for 25 days 24/7? I love my husband and son...I just haven't always liked them on this trip...and it's quite possible that they haven't always liked me.

This morning, we caught an early train to Sevilla. Sevilla is gorgeous! It reminds us of a cross between Balboa Park in San Diego and a resort in the desert (La Quinta) with lots of history thrown in. Just driving from the train station to our hotel, we saw examples of traditional Spanish architecture, Moorish architecture, Asian, Medieval, and more. I wish I knew more about architecture to be able identify it.

My dear friend, Debbie, who loves La Quinta in July, would adore Sevilla in August...I couldn't help thinking about her as I enjoyed the 113 degree heat. Honestly, I did enjoy it...other than when I got a little dehydrated and almost threw up.

Our hotel was over the top! It would be a perfect spot for our next Couples Retreat....Debbie? Most people do not vacation in Sevilla in August, so we were able to get a room in a resort-like atmosphere for 50 Euros a night! Of course, the transportation cost might be a little prohibitive.

We had two sites on our agenda, the Sevilla Cathedral and the Alcazar. As it was Sunday, the Cathedral didn't open until 2:30, so we hit the Alcazar first. It is a Moorish palace built for a Christian king. Queen Isabella actually met with Columbus here...we thought that was pretty cool. It had many beautiful, intricate ceilings, doors, walls, windows, patios...even the garden. This is where I got overheated. I had only had a soda since waking up...no water...and, all of a sudden, I thought I was going to throw up and pass out all at the same time. You gotta respect the heat.

Next, we went to the Sevilla Cathedral. It is the third largest church after St. Peter's in Rome and St. Paul's in London...and I've seen them all! The Cathedral was beautiful, but it's claim to fame is having the tomb of Christopher Columbus. I was pretty impressed that Columbus' tomb was fairly simple considering all the tombs I've seen. As I wasn't feeling well, we didn't stay too long, but definitely saw all we needed to.

We returned to our room and decided to hit the pool. The water was so refreshing. But going to the pool introduced a whole new aspect of European culture to my 14 year old son...topless sunbathing. I knew that Europeans had a very relaxed attitude towards nudity, but for some reason, I thought it would be frowned upon at a family resort. No, it wasn't. There were about four women laying out topless. We definitely had to discuss the difference in cultural norms. It was enough that he was horrified a couple days ago by seeing a woman breastfeed at a restaurant...without covering up. What really bothered me was the young girls...like 9 and 10 who were topless...all I could think of was that there might be pedophiles around. Of course, in addition to the topless women and girls, there were guys in speedos...do they know how funny they look? And there was one guy with a huge bong smoking something...Mike says it wasn't illegal...it was probably some type of herb. Let's just say it was quite the experience.

After swimming, we were exhausted and went to bed early...I think I slept for almost twelve hours...I needed it after today!

2 comments:

  1. After reading this it's kind of ironic you have a pic of Matt in front of a "bottomless" statue haha. Like the tasteful haze photo of the resort so no detailed views of their "culture" =) Happy traveling, Cindy M

    ReplyDelete